I’ve always believed that if you’re going to do something, do it properly or just don’t do it at all. So if you’re going to make a pie, the best role models for that are the Hairy Bikers. They don’t skimp on anything. We tried out their steak and ale pie recipe and it doesn’t disappoint!
Makes: enough for 4 portions
Time to prepare: 10mins, then slow cook for at least 4 hours
Time to cook: 20 to 30 mins
Temp: 220C/ 425F/ Gas 7
900g Stewing steak, diced
150g Chestnut mushrooms
300g Ready-made rolled puff pastry
2 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Egg, beaten
2 Sprigs of thyme
500ml Beef stock
Flour for dusting
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 220C/ 425F/ Gas 7.
2. Coat the meat in the flour and season. Heat the butter in a saucepan and sear the meat.
3. Transfer the meat into your slow cooker, along with the vegetables, herbs, ale and stock.
4. Slow cook for as long as you like, at least 4 hours. We cooked ours for 8 hours because we left the slow cooker on low overnight.
5. When it’s cooked, let it cool before transferring it into an overproof dish.
6. Flour your worktop and roll out the pastry, then place over the ovenproof dish. Trim and pinch the edges of the pastry to seal.
7. Brush the pastry top with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 mins until the pastry is golden brown on top.
You can try using brisket instead of stewing steak but as with both cuts of meat, slow cooking will ensure the meat is tender for your pie.